Skip Navigation


The Career Center offers free services for all of our international students. If you are not in the Fort Wayne area, we can work with you via the following:

  • Video Conference appointments
  • Phone appointments
  • Email

The Career Center can assist you with resume or cover letter critiques, practice interviews, questions regarding career changing, relocation, salary expectations for majors of study, and much more.

If you have questions or would like to set up an appointment, please call 260.422.5561, ext. 2217 or complete our make an appointment form.

International student employment

Working on-campus

Student Visa restrictions

  • You are only allowed to work on campus in a budget position. This means when you read the job description, it should not say “work-study.”
    • Work study is federally funded employment; this means you have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify.
  • You can only work 20 hours per week.
    • During official holiday or university breaks (winter, summer) you are allowed to work at a full-time status, which means 37.5 hours per week.

Steps to obtain on-campus employment

  1. Search for an on-campus job and apply.
  2. Once you have had an offer for a job on campus, you will need to obtain a Social Security Number:
    • You will need a letter from your employer or future supervisor in order to apply for a Social Security card (contact human resources in for more information). The letter must contain information that: 1) identifies you; 2) confirms your current school status; and 3) identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.
    • Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
    • Show original documents proving your immigration status (I-94 and I-20), work eligibility, and age and identity (passport and visa).
    • Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office located at 2122 Lincolnway Court, Fort Wayne, IN 46819. You can call them at 877.223.6061. Their hours of operation are 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
    • Your card can take up to two weeks to be received by mail.
    • Obtain your Orange Card. An Orange Card is internal paperwork required by our university.

Additional information can be found on the ICE website.

Working off-campus

Student Visa restrictions

  • You have the option of working in an internship that will provide valuable work experience that will add to the skills you are learning in school. This option is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
    • CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be an integral part of your program of study.
    • CPT requires a job offer.
    • CPT requires enrollment in an internship class in which on-the-job training is required and for which course credit is received.
    • You must be enrolled in the class at the beginning of you CPT authorization.
    • You can work part time (20 hours) or full time (40 hours- summer only) during this training.

Additional information can be found on Student Process page located on the ICE website.

Working in the United States after graduation

  • You are eligible to apply for Post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • This must relate to your major or course of study.
  • You can apply for 12 months of OPT at each education level, (i.e., you may have 12 months of OPT at the bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level). Students graduating from a STEM designated program are eligible for an additional 24 month extension.
  • Your designated school official will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this employment.
  • It is advised to apply 90 days before your program completion date.

What you need:

You must contact the Career Center to schedule an appointment to file your application once all documents and forms have been gathered and completed.

  • Electronically fill out a form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization.
  • A money order to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for $410.
  • A copy of all previous I-20’s.
  • A copy of your passport and visa.
  • A copy of your I-94.
  • Two identical color passport photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of filing this application. The pictures have to be white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and retouched. (Tip: Try Walgreens or CVS passport pictures).
    • They must be 2 inches by 2 inches, and they must show your full face, frontal view. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order.
    • Using pencil, lightly print your name and I-94 Number on the back of the photo.

For more information and instructions on how to apply, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Note: You cannot start work until after you receive your EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

Additional information can be found on Practical Training page located on the ICE website.

Important Information Regarding Optional Practical Training


Professional Organizations

Job Platforms