Sending a student to college is a major life event for families as well as students, and it is important to think about career development and how to improve your student’s chances of obtaining a job after graduation.
Researchers have found that close relationships with family help students adjust to college life, make effective career and relationship choices, and develop self-confidence and a sense of personal autonomy, all important attributes to successful career planning and development.
Therefore, we believe it is critical for parents to understand, support, and encourage their students to take advantage of the opportunities available to them in the Career Center.
As a parent, you can get involved in several ways:
- Encourage your student to visit us and to “come early and come often” to learn more about the services we offer.
- Encourage your student to participate in career-oriented events that prepare your student for success after graduation.
- Stay informed on internship possibilities and opportunities.
Indiana Tech offers many new and exciting events and opportunities for your child.
- View upcoming Career Center events and learn how to take part in them.
- View the university calendar.
- Connect with us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for important updates.
Knowledge is power
Below are some of our most popular resources for parents. You can also check out our career resources page for several more helpful resources for you and your child.
- A Career-Planning Course for Parents
- A Parents’ Guide to Career Development
- Parents’ Guide to College and Careers: How To Help, Not Hover
- Reasons Why Your College Student Might Not Graduate in Four Years
- Supporting Your College Freshman
- Ten Wise Decisions Your College Student Can Make to Improve His GPA
- Visit Your Career Services Office Today
- What to Send in a Care Package
- When Your College Student Changes Majors
- Why Your College Student Might Want to Become a Peer Tutor
- Learning to Let Go
- How Parents Can Help Their Children Avoid The “Freshman 15”
- Family Member Checklist